"...but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer." 3 Nephi 22:8







Saturday, August 13, 2016

Answered Prayer

I had just stepped out of the shower when my phone rang. Wrapped in a towel, I grabbed the phone and answered. The caller asked me to share a spiritual thought and/or scripture in a meeting only a few hours away. She apologized for the lateness of asking me, as things had not gone as planned in her life. I laughed and said that I totally understood and that I could see myself doing exactly as she had done. Yes, if there is a mistake to be made, I am often the one to make it!

Of course I agreed and hung up the phone. Then it hit me that I was not in a very good place within myself. I had been struggling for a couple of weeks with issues that seemed to be spiraling out of my control. I had already had a rough morning. How in the world could I find inspiration to give spiritual food to someone else when I was starving myself?

I dressed and fixed my hair as I pondered and thought about my assignment. I prayed and turned to the scriptures. I played a song that often brings me peace. I listened to it over and over. I puttered at other projects in between the searching and pondering.

I asked Heavenly Father to bless me to speak the words that He wanted me to say. I asked that His Spirit would be able to carry the message that others needed to hear. And I continued to ponder and listen to the music and returned to the Book of  Mormon.

I felt that the very first scripture that I turned to was the scripture that I should use. Then I pondered on what to say with it. Though it is a very powerful and meaningful scripture to me, I needed to know what to say so that others would understand its meaning. Otherwise, I could see them looking at me and wondering, why in the world did you choose that scripture?

Words formulated in my mind and I continued to ask that I might speak the words that Heavenly Father wanted others to hear.

The words of the scripture brought me to tears as I shared them. And I was certain that those who were listening would avoid me like the plague after this meeting for a season. I was certain that embarrassment would be huge for all of us and I prepared to see people look away instead of look at me. I was prepared for them to walk away.

But that is not what happened at all!

Within moments of the meetings end, several people commented on the scripture I had shared. I was asked several times where that particular scripture was located. I was shown kindness and appreciation.

My prayer had been answered! I know that when the Holy Ghost is the teacher, each of us can learn whatever we need to learn through His power, no matter what was said. I give all credit to Heavenly Father and His infinite power for allowing others to learn through His words.

The message I shared was something like this: Unfortunately in our lives bad things happen that can separate us from feeling God's love, mercy, and kindness. When that happens to me, I go to the scriptures and one of my go to scriptures is found in 3 Nephi 22: 7,8,10. "For a small moment have I forsaken thee, but with great mercies will I gather thee. In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment, but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer. For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness will not depart from thee." Then I was able to testify of God's mercy, love and kindness."

Maybe everyone in that room needed to be reminded that God is loving, kind and merciful; because in our own way, we are all starving to death spiritually.

This will be my last blog post for a season. It is fitting that I leave this blog with my testimony of Heavenly Father and His love for us. It is fitting that I testify of the Savior Jesus Christ and the power of The Holy Ghost. I believe in them all!

No comments: