"...but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer." 3 Nephi 22:8







Thursday, July 21, 2016

Gettysburg - Part Two

The Founding Fathers did not quickly hash out the details of the founding principles of this land. It was a long and difficult process. It required educated men to sacrifice much to create the inspired documents upon which this government was founded. They were guided by God.

Then the fight of a lifetime ensued as they sought the independence required to really build a land of freedom and righteousness. A nation worth dying for was purchased with the blood of those who fought in the Revolutionary War.

But our freedom was also paid for by those who have fought in other wars. The Civil War, though incomprehensible to me, was also a significant battle for God given freedom.

Each side believed they were right. Men stood with their weapons, ready to die for the cause they believed in. Because they believed, they were willing to give their all.

I think that Heavenly Father had a great interest in this war, because this is His covenant land. This country needed to be a land governed with righteous principles in order for His purposes to be fulfilled. I believe God's hand was present in The Civil War.

I believe God wept at the loss of life. I believe He sorrowed over the depths required to rescue His land. I believe it was very difficult to watch, knowing that it must be done.

I loved visiting Gettysburg. But it was also hard for me. It is difficult for me to even identify why it was so hard. I cannot quite put my finger on it yet, but maybe someday I will.

But I am so grateful that I walked along Little Round Top, saw the field of Pickett's Charge, peeked into Devil' Den, and saw the Peace Memorial. I am grateful that Heavenly Father watched over this land. I am at a loss for words of gratitude to Him for all His blessings to me. I am also unable to comprehend the sacrifices of those who have gone before me to pave the way for freedom. So many died at Gettysburg.

By the end of The Civil War 618,000 people had died. Though their deaths bought us the land we have today, what great things might these people have done, had they lived a life of peace and productivity? How might they have changed the world for the better with their creativity and drive?

What kind of a world would we be able to enjoy if peace ruled the world and righteousness reigned supreme?

Many of the dead at Gettysburg were buried as unknown. No one identified or claimed their remains. Many were lost to their families, within the blink of an eye. The sorrow must have been overwhelming.

Surely the nation mourned and The God of Heaven wept.

And I ask myself - What are the lessons for me from Gettysburg? Has what happened at Gettysburg changed me?

I think that perhaps there are things that Heavenly Father expects of me. But I am not yet sure what they are. I do feel a need to learn more about His Covenant land and the great men and women inspired to do His work. Maybe I need to pull my head out of the sand and pay more attention to what is happening now. Maybe I need to study the constitution and the principles that Heavenly Father designed this country to be founded on. Maybe there is more that I will come to understand.

But this much I know - I can be grateful!  I can be patriotic and respect the symbols of our country. I can be more aware of the way I speak about my land. I can set a better example.

And I will pray for righteousness to flood The United States of America!

No comments: